Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Simple Breakdown

Salutations, internet dwellers! As promised I shall now discuss what exactly Huntington's disease (HD) is and what it does to people.





Huntington's is a neurodegenerative disease. This means that Huntington's causes the deterioration of brain cells and like most neurodegenerative diseases, it is fatal. It is a genetic disease and is passed down from parent to child. A child with a parent who has HD has a 50/50 chance of carrying the gene that causes Huntington's which is called huntingtin. Today, there are approximately 30,000 symptomatic Americans and more than 200,000 at-risk of inheriting the disease.  
(Please check out the website for more information and ways you can help)


Once the onset of the disease takes hold the individual has about 10 to 20 years to live. Symptoms of HD include involuntary movement, mood swings, slurred speech and others. I included a video so you all can see the toll this terrible disease has on people and their family members. This disease is not an attacker of individuals- it takes its toll on everyone that person loves as well.

I stated I didn't know why this disease took a hold of me which technically is false.These people live with something they know will rob them of themselves slowly and have it effect everyone around them. Living with that knowledge and burden is just simply mind blowing to me and it struck a nerve. I want to help in any way I can. I'm currently working on a project to try and get a curriculum going for the general public to help spread awareness. There is power in knowledge, dearie.

Please comment with any questions and I will be happy to try and answer them for you. Until next time,


Live Long and Prosper <3

No comments:

Post a Comment